Ammonium hydroxide is a compound composed of ammonia (NH₃) dissolved in water, resulting in a colorless liquid with a strong odor. It is commonly known as ammonia water. Ammonium hydroxide is used in various applications such as cleaning agents, fertilizers, and in some industrial processes. It is known for its alkaline properties and can react with acids. Caution should be exercised when handling ammonium hydroxide due to its corrosive nature. Its general characteristics are:
- Physical State: Colorless liquid resulting from ammonia gas dissolved in water.
- Odor: Strong, pungent odor detectable even at low concentrations.
- Solubility: Highly soluble in water, forms alkaline solution.
- pH and Alkalinity: High pH, typically ranging from 10 to 12, contributing to alkalinity.
- Corrosive Properties: Corrosive, can cause damage or burns to skin, eyes, and materials.
- Reactivity: Can react with acids, used as a reagent in laboratory procedures.
Ammonium Hydroxide Uses in Water Treatment
Ammonium hydroxide can be used to produce chloramines, which are used as a disinfectant in drinking water and swimming pools. Chloramines are more stable than chlorine and can last longer in water, making them a good choice for disinfection in areas with low water pressure or where there is a risk of chlorine loss. Ammonium hydroxide can be used to help remove suspended particles from water. When ammonium hydroxide is added to water, it reacts with the water to form ammonium hydroxide. Ammonium hydroxide is a base, and it can cause the suspended particles in water to clump together, or flocculate. This makes it easier to remove the particles from the water through sedimentation or filtration.
Ammonium hydroxide can be used to adjust the pH of water. The pH of water is a measure of how acidic or alkaline the water is. The ideal pH for drinking water is between 7.0 and 7.4. Ammonium hydroxide can be used to increase the pH of water that is too acidic. Ammonium hydroxide can be used to condition sludge, which is the solid material that is removed from water during treatment. Ammonium hydroxide helps to bind the particles in the sludge together, making it easier to handle and dispose of. Order ammonium hydroxide from Water Solutions Unlimited.